Saturday, May 7, 2011

More to life than this..

So, here I am: on the verge of finals week. So much to do, so little time to do it all. Well, do it all successfully, that is. Four finals this week, and one take home test due Wednesday. Genetics, cellular biology, abnormal psychology, and statistics. Ugh, enough to make me want to curl up in a ball and suck my thumb.

But the more I think about it…

…there is more to life than school.

There is more to life than grades, or tests, or homework.

There will always be times when I look back and I ask myself if I really spent enough time studying for the big test, or put enough effort into my homework, or whether or not I should’ve proofread some paper for the fiftieth time. And most likely I’ll regret not doing so. But there is something else that I’ll regret more than not studying enough.

And that, my friends, is regretting not spending enough time with God. Unless you’re a senior in college, there will always be another test, or there will always be another paper that you can redeem yourself with. But there will never be a chance to get back the time you could’ve spent in God’s presence.

And I am just as guilty if not more guilty than all of you on this issue! So often I find myself caring about my test scores than I do about Scripture. So often I find myself thinking about the next upcoming homework assignment while in Chi Alpha. So often I find myself writing down notes for a paper I have to write instead of writing down notes from a sermon.

Why?

Why do we constantly put things in God’s rightful place when we are created as humans to have a relationship with God first? Not after homework is done, not after a test is taken, not after a 50 page thesis paper is written.

Put. God. First.

That’s been laid on my heart especially these last two weeks of school. God time first, then study. Because he will reward you for spending time with him first, and for making him your number one priority. He will give you back the time you spent with him, as well as a blessing over your life.

Along with learning to spend time with God before anything else, a bunch of questions has popped into my mind now that the school year is almost over. I’ve just been convicted lately to ask myself a couple of questions, and to look at myself honestly.

Questions like: “Did I waste this year? Did I waste the time given to me in Seim Hall? Did I take advantage of the opportunities that were given to me, or did I take advantage of the fact that there is always tomorrow to do Your will? Did I make you visible in my life, or did I shove you to the side in order to save my reputation? Did I live for you this year or not? How does my life reflect you? What can I change in my life in order to make you more prominent in my life? What can I do to show your love more? And what can I do in order to get more of you? How can I get more of you?”

In some ways, I almost felt like a failure this year since a couple of goals that I had set at the beginning of the year did not get fulfilled. But then God told me no. He told me that I didn’t waste this year. He told me that this year was a growing year for me, a year for development and letting my roots in Him grow deeper. He also laid 1Timothy 4:12-16 on my heart.

“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you. Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.” – 1 Timothy 4:12-16

Ok, so maybe I did not fulfill every goal that I set for this year. But that doesn’t mean that I failed. And if some of your goals aren’t coming along as fast as you’d want them to, or they seem impossible, keep preserving. Keep seeking after God, and going to him for your wisdom, sustainment, satisfaction, completion, and contentment. He’s got a plan for everything that he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment